The orthodontic treatment using Invisalign require wearing a series of clear aligners customized to fit precisely over your teeth. This would allow them to efficiently apply gentle pressure over them in a certain area to move them the optimal planned position.
- Wash the aligner with cool water before using it for the first time.
- Make sure the aligner is clean every time you have to wear it. It is preferable to wash the aligners using cool water, a toothbrush and some toothpaste.
- You should not use any products used to clean other dental appliances such as dentures or any mouth rinses to clean your aligners. These products might affect the elasticity and the colour of the aligners.
- Remove the aligner when eating and drinking. You can only drink water while wearing the aligner.
- It is very important to keep your teeth clean during the treatment. Thus, brush your teeth very well after each meal and before wearing the aligner again. If you cannot brush your teeth for any reason, make sure you rinse your mouth and the aligner with water before wearing it again. Make sure you brush your teeth and the aligner as soon as you can.
- You might feel some pain or pressure around your teeth during the first few days after wearing a new aligner. This is normal and usually, the pain would disappear after 2-3 days.
- The speech might be affected during the first few days after starting the treatment with aligners.
- It is very important to wear the aligners for 20-22 hours daily. Failing to wear the aligners for required time will affect the efficiency of the aligners and their ability to move the teeth as planned. This would make treatment longer or even cause the failure of the treatment.
- In a rare case, the aligner might cause some irritation to the tongue or the lips. Inform your doctor if that happens. You can also try to smooth the part of the aligner causing the irritation with a clean nail file.
- At the beginning of the treatment, the doctor will bond tooth colour attachments that would support the aligner and help to move your teeth. Some of these attachments might detach from the teeth during the treatment, the doctor will check them during the periodic visit and might put them back if necessary. These attachments will be removed at the end of the treatment.
- It is very important to follow the doctor’s instructions at the end of the treatment. Failing to wear the retainers as required will cause the teeth to move and the alignment to relapse.
- Wearing the aligners might cause a dry mouth or increased secretion saliva for the first few days at the beginning of the treatment.
- You might experience a temporary discomfort when biting over the teeth without the aligners during the treatment. This feeling will disappear gradually towards the end of the treatment.
- Keep the aligners in a cool dry place.
- Keep the aligners away from hot water and other chemical substances.
- Keep the aligners away from the reach of children and pets.
- Some cases would require bonding or using some accessories (Such as buttons or elastics) to the teeth or the aligners to facilitate their movement
- It is possible for some existing dental restorations (dental filling or crowns) to be affected during the treatment with aligners and they might need to be replaced at the end of the treatment.