– Wear your retainers full time for two weeks, the only when you sleep unless you were given different instructions by your orthodontist
– Take your retainers out when eating and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school or restaurants.)
– Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and soap. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers remove the plaque and eliminate odours. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but these do not take the place of brushing.
– When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case.
– Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing aloud to get used to them faster.
– Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
– If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
– Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
– Retainer replacement is not for free with proper care they will last for years!
– Remove retainers when swimming, skiing, or playing contact sports.
– Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.